Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Well, it's about time.

That's what a friend of mine said when I told her that I thought I would start blogging. So often I've found myself answering emails or calls for reading recommendations that I simply decided it would be easier if I compile a list of sure-bets... better yet - BLOG about them! I guess my friend thinks if I'm writing all my opinions and reading recommendations down for the whole world to see, then she wouldn't have to lend me her ear as often. Little did she know...
I went on to ask her of the things that interest her within the blogs that she follows. "That's easy - they give me the inside scoop on what interests me...great stories and new technology. They introduce me to today's new creators and their creations - just like you do when I come into your store. These are people online that I can connect with anytime, people I feel a likeness with... that I trust, too... even if I haven't met them. They know how to get my attention and they write interesting stuff.  I mean, for instance..."
She rambled on and on, saying a whole lot of other things but I don't think you'd find our conversation interesting enough to keep you reading my blog soooo...

Suffice it to say, I'm ready to start. There are people lost among the reading choices facing them from the shelves. Folks who have no idea of the HOURS of entertainment awaiting them once they "pick up" a new story teller or find a new series with an amazing storyworld!
I want to share:
As many reading recommendations as possible through this blog... Check
Some behind-the-author-scenes, little known story facts and off the public radar info. Check.
My knowledge about the newest of the hot new authors. Check.
Who's doing what in the content creating world. Check.
Promote great content to needy readers. Check. Check. CHECK.

There are many authors I can talk about here - and really, really hard to choose who to begin my very first blog with - but I think I'll start with Lauren Oliver, a lovely young lady whom I met a couple of years ago in NY on the sidewalk outside our hotel. She made quite an impression on me then and continues to do so. She'd just sold her first book, literally, that day.  She was so excited and promised to send me an advanced copy as soon as it went to print. And she did.

It was BEFORE I FALL  - I read it - and was totally blown away. She had written a wonderful young adult book (which I immediately saw would cross the lines of popular fiction) about a girl who would live her last day over and over... and over. Think Groundhog Day, but forget the laughs. Hers was a serious story about coming to terms with one's life - while immersing the reader into the world of your everyday, ordinary teenager and all the angst that goes with it, she pulled off a truly remarkable study of youth. BEFORE I FALL was published by Harper in 2010 and put young Oliver on the map.

Then - THEN - she released DELIRIUM in Feb 2011 (another Harper title).

In DELIRIUM, Oliver creates a world in which love is a sickness and the government enforces immunizations upon every person at a certain age. But what if you become "infected" before it's time for your shots - and the whole world is against you? Here folks, is a modern day Romeo and Juliet kind of story... a definite must-read and a 2011 Staff Pick at Fireside. *Take a peek at my first review of this book on goodreads.com             __________________
Delirium (Delirium, #1)Delirium by Lauren Oliver

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Lauren Oliver. Remember her name because you'll be hearing it a lot. Fresh on the heels of 'BEFORE I FALL', Lauren delivers 'DELIRIUM'. Totally different and dare I say, even better (and I loved BIF). Think futuristic Romeo and Juliet... forbidden love and extreme government control. Yummy!

I am strongly suspicious that Ms. Oliver has a secret way to see inside the hearts and minds of 16-18 year olds and she certainly places the reader there with her words, in both BIF and in DELIRIUM.

This is an incredible, emotionally charged story that holds together well and steals your breath in the final pages.
Lovely writing from a fresh new voice in fiction ~ one I plan to follow.

Recommended for teen fantasy readers, high school and educator book clubs, romance fans and for any adult who wants to remember what it felt like to be young and in love... that FIRST time.
                             ____________________________________
*(I heard a rumor that this might be Book #1 in a trilogy - wouldn't that be GREAT?!) Update!! YES - Delirium IS the first of three!!  More info here! http://laurenoliverbooks.blogspot.com/p/books.html 

I feel certain that Ms. Oliver is here to stay ~ she's definitely got my attention! She has AMAZING story-telling abilities and creates both refreshing and thought-provoking story worlds, drawing in readers of every age and keeping the suspense in place through the final pages in both of these books. Here's a quick link to the ebook versions - ready for immediate download! http://firesidebooks.indiebound.com/search/gbook/Lauren%20Oliver

Make a note, here's someone to watch.  I'm anxious to see just what Ms. Oliver has up her sleeve next... and I promise, as soon as I know - I'll spread the word!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for creating this blog! I look forward to reading all of your recommendations!

    ReplyDelete