Monday, May 9, 2011

I heart Hart.

Monday. The day after Mother's Day.
Hope all you mothers out there enjoyed it as much as I did.
I had such a nice weekend with family and kids and I feel so blessed. My oldest son gave me a card that made me cry. In a good way. We spent time outdoors, went out to eat, snuggled up and watched movies ~ AND I had time to read ~ which makes for a great weekend anytime.

This weekend I finished the arc of IRON HOUSE by John Hart, which hits shelves this summer.
Iron House

Let me tell you why I read this particular book.

We get boxes of advance reading copies into the store each month. I often find myself with a backlog of books lying about due to having the desire to read SO many of them. The upside of that is that there is always something within reach to read, no matter where I am - and always enough to spread out among the bookstore staff.  The downside of that is  ...well, ok  ... there's really isn't a downside! It's probably one of the best benefits of being in the book biz.
Recently, my store manager recommended I read one of the books that she had received. It happens this way every once in awhile - usually when I'm already behind and trying to finish three or four other books -when something absolutely jumps out to us about a certain book. All the other stories go on the back burner for a bit if a book can hook me in it's first page. That's what happened when Val put John Hart's book in my hand.

The reasons I immediately started reading it?
1) A North Carolina author - yay!
2) Cover blurbs from Jeffery Deaver AND Patricia Cornwell
3) The author's picture.
(ok ... I have to admit that one. The man looks intense. It made me want to read his story)
4) He hooked me on the first page.

Now I'm extremely happy to report that not one time - not in the 420+ pages of this book - was I disappointed.  (The retail hardcover copy has approx 350 pages)
I instantly bonded with the characters and wanted to learn about their storyworld.  I immediately felt passion, sympathy and curiosity. Mr. Hart stirred up all the right responses to make me want to sit myself down and READ.  It was an absolutely amazing novel and one I will personally guarantee.
I heart Hart!

Val reviewed it on Goodreads, saying "An intricate story of loss, courage, redemption, and love, juxtaposed against a story of violence, greed, and cruelty, Iron House is a must read - an absolutely stunning story of family, the ties that bind, and the power of the past."   Well, there you go.

If you like conflict - you'll  like this story.
If you like loyalty and mobsters - you'll like this story.
If you like suspense and good literature that puts you deep in North Carolina - you'll like this story.
John Hart - where have you been? (or where have I been?)

Now, if you know me, you know that I'm determined to find out more about his work after an experience like this. 
And I was thrilled to learn that this is his fourth novel -  can't wait to order up the backlist.
                The King of Lies

Down River    AND
  
                

Available as ebooks!   http://firesidebooks.indiebound.com/search/gbook/john%20hart

I found  an excerpt of one of his novels here: http://www.unctv.org/ncbookwatch/author_az/2006/John_Hart.html
I also found an interesting interview here:  http://www.bookreporter.com/authors/au-hart-john.asp

Want to learn more about IRON HOUSE?
 http://firesidebooks.indiebound.com/book/9780312380342

Spread the word about Mr. Hart and keep him on your radar.   I know I will.

1 comment: